View Single Post
Old 3 Apr 2020, 14:46 (Ref:3968422)   #62
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
We have to limit development or only two or three factories can afford to play. [...]

We should be glad we don’t line in the era of computer-controlled electronic cars …. Because that is a likely possible future. Drivers never die because they drive from the Driver’s Studio, wired into simulator consoles, while robotic E-racers circle the tracks …. Cleaner, greener, safer, very late 21st –century … we might be headed there.
Great analysis, but I think you are drawing the wrong conclusions. Yes, the manufacturers are headed for exactly the scenario you are describing. But racing doesn't have to follow them!

I think at this point - and even more so in the future - racing would be better off without manufacturer involvement. Because when you only have privateers, you suddenly can have more open regulations again, because no one has the megabucks to completely outdevelop their opposition and it comes once again down to just being smarter. Point in case: Pescarolo developed the aero for the C60 by coasting down the runway at the Le Mans airport, because he couldn't afford windtunnel time. Worked just fine (against other privateers) and probably saved Henri a ton of money.

Really, I'd rather have three or four guys like Glickenhaus, who are really in it for their love of racing, at the front of the field at Le Mans than three or four manufacturers who just see it as a marketing exercise.

I think a lot of responsibility rests with the ACO here: If they follow the manufacturers to that electric, computer-controlled future, ICE-powered and human driven race cars will become a very niche sport. But if the ACO decided to stick with the ICE (and by all means fuel it with something green like the Isobutanol Dyson used in 2011!), the lustre and standing of the 24h of Le Mans will continue to attract the sort of well-heeled individuals that can afford to race and develop their own top-level prototypes.