View Single Post
Old 8 Apr 2020, 10:59 (Ref:3969295)   #72
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Maybe until 2012, but with the advent of BoP and bespoke privateer classes, they abandoned any pretext of that at least for the GT classes. Next was new LMP2 aka the Oreca-Gibson cartel, and with hypercar/LMDH even the top class is falling into that mold now.

It's really a shame, though. Rebellion and SMP did a great job at showing us that open development between privateers is still a viable concept - and I'm sure even more private teams would join the fray if they had no manufacturers to content with and thus a reasonable chance at an overall victory at LM.
Yessssss SMP vs Rebellion was great.

I like making historical comparisons, and I'd like to think the last few years as like the one of "Five Good Emperors" in ancient Rome. While it was true that the underlying system had been fundamentally broken and made corrupt, the powers in force still managed to make relative best of the situation and enable the Empire, or here racing, to breath. There was no going back to the Republic - or Le Mans of the past - but in relative terms, there was prosperity to be had. Now, next will come the ascension of Commodus however, or in other terms the mandation of full bop and spec regs with OEM branding focus (in conjunction with economical crisis), the start of final collapse...