View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2004, 03:39 (Ref:953070)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Cmon, how sophisticated do you have to be to watch what has become a spec series anyway? With 3 engine manufacturers and two competitive chassis, I'd say the IRL cars are far more sophisticated these days. Besides, could they possibly put on a more boring race than CC just did?
No offense but that's a ridiculous arguement and I fail to see how it has any baring on anything. If it's spec it's not sophiticated? Since you brought it up I'll mention a few things; For one the IRL chasis is not as versitile. IRL cars are also slower and their brakes can't hold a candle to those in CART. IRL engines are limited to 10.7k RPMs. With only a few fairly simple changes my street engine from the 80s will rev into the 10ks.

Quote:
Back on topic, I'm not sure I want the IRL to get LB. It has a great history and all and draws big numbers, but its hardly ever a good race. The IRL is known for its close racing and finishes, and I think that should carry over to road courses that can make that happen. Also, the comparisons to CC would be endless, as the other crowd would just belittle and berate the IndyCars, no matter how they performed.
While I don't necessarly disagree with your assessment of LB, the "close finishes" comment may somewhat discredit your opinion to some people. The IRL has put on genuinely decent races this year because there hasn't been the on rails, no lift "racing". The drivers have actually had to drive.

Regarding the Toyota dealers wanting the IRL where the Toyota engines are, I tend to think you're right. It may just be a matter of time.

Last edited by Snrub; 27 Apr 2004 at 03:41.