View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2004, 23:08 (Ref:953993)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
No offense but that's a ridiculous arguement and I fail to see how it has any baring on anything. If it's spec it's not sophiticated? Since you brought it up I'll mention a few things; For one the IRL chasis is not as versitile. IRL cars are also slower and their brakes can't hold a candle to those in CART. IRL engines are limited to 10.7k RPMs. With only a few fairly simple changes my street engine from the 80s will rev into the 10ks.
No offense taken, but that was just an assinine statement by Pook, don't you think? Its like saying if you watch the IRL, you don't know anything about racing. Like we drink beer, and eat hot dogs, and you sip wine and eat French cheese. Ohhh la,la, you CC fans are so sophisticated!

Personally, I do think that the Lola chassis, and the Ford engine have been around long enough, that it has become somewhat unsophisticated and certainly cannot be considered cutting edge anymore. Set-up has to be relatively easy for the crews by now, as most set-up data has already been attained from past years, and all the performance has been rung from this engine, and chassis.

As for the IndyCars, its certainly more challenging and yes, sophisticated IMO, to make a Chevy powered Dallara, compete with a Toyota powered G-Force. I think any series is more challenging and more rewarding, when there are different manufacturers involved. Competition between manufacturers keeps a series fresh and exciting, as each push hard to win. Look at how important Motegi was to Honda. Comparing performance differences between the two series, is like comparing apples and oranges right now. If the IndyCars go road racing, I think they'll be as good as CC.

Especially at Long Beach!

Danica Patrick