View Single Post
Old 6 Apr 2020, 13:07 (Ref:3968906)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
my worry has always been how they go about reducing staff numbers without mass redundancies.
It's easy for us to complain about how big and unstable the sport has become. As you say the real impact is that all of these proposals effectively push many people out of their current jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole View Post
The real question is what will be the gap between minimum viable budget and FOM prize money in 2021. Liberty / FIA can't be foolish enough to let this gap kill off teams.
The question is if Liberty "gets it". From the BBC article above, I think the key is what is called the "counter argument" (which in my opinion is really unrealistic). Which argument wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC Article
Those arguing in favour of keeping the budget cap up at $150m argue that many of the smaller teams are not even spending that much, so lowering it would not help them survive financially.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner told BBC Sport in an interview last week that the budget cap was "secondary" and that "reducing the cost to go racing" was more important.

Brown argued: "In football, while everyone knows Manchester United or Liverpool are going to win more often than not, every team has a chance to beat them, and in F1 it is just not the case.
Basically I read this as... big teams want small teams to survive to maintain "legitimacy" of the series, but don't want them to actually be competitive. They say they do, but their actions prove otherwise. The small teams want to hobble the big team enough that it pulls their performance "down" to their level. People's gut reactions will likely be that hobbling big teams is wrong (anti-competitive, blah, blah), but frankly IMHO it is the correct path. Even with caps, good teams will rise above the rest. It will be about quality of management, etc. that will create competent and well run organizations and that will be reflected by on track success.

It is all about the disparity between those up on Mount Olympus and the mere mortal smaller teams. Its not a level playing field and the current two tier setup is not healthy (given current discussion). This pandemic may be the trigger to resolve (or try to resolve) that long standing issue. And to be honest it was always going to be either one of the tiers having a real crisis (such as disappearing from the sport) to trigger change. The sport will cling to the status quo as long as it can. Even potentially right up to the point of collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Front cover of the current Motorsport magazine. It’s an elegant , straight forward F1 car. There is the rule framework right there....
I haven't looked at the image, but I suspect it doesn't matter. I am of the opinion that technical regulations will NEVER solve budget disparity... UNLESS the regulations specify a 100% spec solution in which ZERO development can happen. If there is room for development then teams will spend as much money as they are capable of raising. That is how it works today. In my opinion there has to be budget caps to keep the field "more" level than it is now.

(Small edit: Even if there is room for zero development, then well funded teams can make themselves "better run" in ways that smaller teams would struggle. So this should be seen in even spec series in which those with cash are able to get 100% out of the car while those with significantly less budget will struggle to do well with the same car. It's about shrinking the gap down)

Richard