View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2015, 19:11 (Ref:3508102)   #55
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldedge View Post
Hi guys,
I would prefer that Taupo was not sold into total private ownership.

Having said that if an investor with some good marketing and management skillls was to become involved in order
to modernise market and promote the circuit that could be a good thing for both parties?

Does any one know if the club have considered selling shares to raise capital or perhaps
crowd funding using the internet, it could be that members of other motorsport clubs could be interested
in owning a share to support the track.

I do think that it is probably time that all the nz track owners/managers/clubs started to look at running
their tracks as a modern entertainment business as opposed to a part time hobby operation?

No offense intended but I think something needs to change or the problem is likely to get worse?

Comments welcome.
Really the best option to take over the operation is the Taupo Car Club, they ran it very successfully prior to the upgrade.
Their advantage is that they not only get their income from hire fees but running events as well.
At the moment I presume that the company derives all its income from hire fees and given the logistics of Taupo and the level of debt that would never be enough.
A couple of options to make it more viable could be:
1. TCC buy it and sell off the industrial park to cut the debt level.
2. TCC buy it as a joint venture with the Drag fraternity, remembering that it has a full drag strip and associated facilities.
3. TCC buy it as a joint venture with a consortium of other Car Clubs.
A combination of any of the above might work.
Another issue that might create problems is who owns the land, if it is only leasehold for it would be very difficult to borrow against.
Club owners do not have to be in the area the operation could be run by 2 maybe 3 staff if you get the right people.