View Single Post
Old 28 Mar 2024, 18:33 (Ref:4203184)   #12
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all your feedback. I checked the car dash display that told me it needed 9 litres of adblue so it must have had 7 litres in when I cocked up, so the contamination is probably nearer 5% than the just over 3 % I first thought. Checking the car handbook regarding adblue it only warns that putting anything else in the adblue tank could be a criminal offence in some places which I have assumed means if you just put water in (for economic reasons!) you may fall foul of the law. There was no mention whatever of the possibility of causing damage by contaminating the mixture.
I also spoke to my local garage man again to ask if he had a suction pump to take out the contaminated mix but he advised against it as he says the tanks have quite sensitive sensors which can be damaged by inserting tubes, etc in to the tank. He also said he had worked on a Land Rover which had a damaged system owing to being overfilled. My handbook also warned against overfilling.
So, on balance, I think I will top up the adblue and see what happens. Unfortunately I can't drive at the moment so it could be a few weeks before I can take the car for a run.