View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1682004)   #52
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
It's off-topic, but most of this thread generally is at the minute so I'll ask this anyway. Grand Am you say is pretty popular - what do it's real fans think of the DP's looks? It's been said a lot on this forum, and I personally agree, that DP's are amongst the ugliest racing cars around. Therefore they've certainly created a lot of controversial chat, but surely anyone will admit there are much better looking machines out there?

I ask this because part of the appeal of sportscar racing is the good looks. There are some stunning machines out there, which is one of the reasons why I really enjoy championships like the LMS, and would watch them over Grand Am machines any day.

I suppose I could make this on-topic and tie it in with the new coupe rules - as in who'll be running with them in '07, and who's thinking about it...?
Fans want to see sports car racing. Fans what to see Daytona Prototype or Prototype cars cars. Grand AM - is Professional Racing on a budget ( sic).

Rules makes dictated how the cars should look to a dregee, height, width and power plants. The engines, yes are race prep Porshce, BMW, Lexus ( Toyota / TRD) and slightly more then stock Corvette ( badged as Pontiac) engines.

The cars are good. Fast?? well on three circuits in the US that Grand-Am and ALMS run the Fastest Grand Am Daytona Prototypes and just a bit faster then the 3rd to 5th place GT2 cars. ALMS P1, P2 and GT1 cars would lap at 3 to5 secs faster. But then again ALMS is much higher dollar racing too.

ANd when your a pro driver, any race car that pays you will do