View Single Post
Old 9 May 2020, 08:35 (Ref:3975187)   #66
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Larry Perkins feels that would make the race teams nothing more than "bolties" who just unbolt things and bolt things together, without any design, engineering or fabrication capability. Does that concern you?

Is the point of motor racing to be able to read the rulebook and design and engineer the best solution to the rulebook, or it is just to have a cost controlled spec series?

IMO, spec designs definitely cause a kind of technical stagnation and prevent the natural evolution of designs that would otherwise happen over time.
I totally agree, my preference is for a class that allows innovation and free thinking but everyone tells me that is not possible because costs will sky rocket. In fact the Sports Sedans of the 70's & 80's was just that with everyone building radically different cars. You can't have it both ways, either the regs allow innovation which BTW can cost less or tie the class (which ever one) to a very strict regime of rules and SC is actually that now. To get an edge costs thousands of dollars and it would be instantly outlawed. They have tried to make racing theoretically even for everyone but it never works, not now or in the past.