View Single Post
Old 3 Mar 2022, 15:56 (Ref:4101088)   #2979
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why is the UK reliant on imported oil and gas, when it has its own oil and gas reserves?
The strategic gas reserve, the Rough storage facility, was closed in 2017 after the government refused to pay out for preventative maintenance - it was deemed to costly to continue using. So we now have no "buffer". Aside from that, the UK was only ever a net exporter of oil & gas for a short period in the 80s and 90s (I think, I'm sure Peter will correct me if that's wrong!), and now between 50 and 60% of our gas is imported either via pipeline, or via LNG tankers from further afield.

Our oil reserves are a different story. Crude oil differs from field to field, some is very "heavy" and some is "light"; when distilled in a refinery they produce dramatically different proportions of the compounds within. Some crude produces lots of petrol, some lots of diesel/kerosene, some lots of naphtha, some is very waxy, some contains lots of sulphur. As a result one country can't provide their entire needs from a single source, so sell some of theirs and import from other sources.

[note that the preceding paragraph ignores catalytic cracking or steam reforming to make heavy chain hydrocarbons smaller]

On top of that, some of the North Sea oil fields have become financially non-viable to keep operating, so there aren't as many productive wells now as there once were.

Not a simple answer, and I'm glossing over a lot of complexity, but that's more or less right.