View Single Post
Old 8 May 2020, 17:40 (Ref:3975113)   #70
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I'd love to see DTM based on cars somewhat similar to Australian Supercars. You've mentioned that both Germans and Australians didn't like Super Touring and they had a reason - V8 Supercars and DTM cars were just more exciting and more 'theirs'. And since I remember, I've kept saying - DTM should stop looking to F1 or Super GT for ideas but rather to Supercars. I know Supercars is also in crisis now but this stems from the fact that Australian car market is very very tough. In Germany it's different and I'd love to think Supercars-like DTM would have the right to exist successfully.
People in Australia still buy cars though, just not ones with V8 engines.

Three of the top five vehicles in Australia are Utes. The other two are mid-sized hatchbacks.

The Holden Commodore ranked 49th last year, and the Ford Mustang 66th - between them they make up just 1% of the new car market.

Germany and Australia are not too different: Both the DTM and V8 Supercars suffered from spiralling costs and an over-reliance on (a small group of) manufacturers. That they have hit crisis at the same time is no coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can understand BMW being upset, they want the series to continue, yet Audi have quit just like that. It really has left the series in limbo
BMW don't want the series to continue that much. They're upset because Audi quit first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
But

A) what is that plan?
B) how long will it take?
C) how many manufacturers does it need?
D) what are the right rules?

While all that is being figured out, a large female is getting the vocal chords warmed up.
Unless you have the answers now?
If the answer to C) isn't "fewer than one" then the other points are irrelevant because you are doomed to failure from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
And yet, manufacturer teams are a requirement if you want to have full grandstands as they are what gives a series legitimacy and makes it seem like a big deal.
Manufacturer teams fill grandstands because the manufacturers spend a fortune on activation, with free or subsidised tickets for employees and customers. It's not sustainable.