View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2007, 19:57 (Ref:2020034)   #16
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
this is a bit like when the FWD/2WD 2.0 normally aspirated rally cars started to beat the WRC cars on the tarmac rounds of the WRC series......the 4wD turbo WRC boys started to look at each other and say "this shouldnt be happening".......and not before long, the 2 litre class was scrapped and they invented "super 1600" to really distance the classes apart......and S1600's purpose was to act as feeder series to the WRC teams, and lets be honest, it worked a treat, as I'm sure Leob would testify......

the problem with the ACO is they are in love with the prospect of lots of manufacturers, just as alan gow was with the BTCC, and when Porsche and Acura said to the ACO, "hey Mr Pedrix / Mr Panoz / IMSA, were coming back, oh and by the way were going the LMP2 route.....errr, OK".......its the ACO,s own stupid fault, they should have been more firm with Porsche and Honda to start with......

and from what I can see, the LMP2 engine rules seem more expensive, light does not mean cheap, it means more expensive, as it takes longer to design, reason being I have been there done it on the engine side, and the reynard and lola designers told me its just the same for the chassis......anyway, the LMP2 motors are so highly strung, going LMP racing with 10,000 revs for a V8, or 550bhp from a 4 pot is plain stupid......I cans blame shorty for going back to LMP1 as the regs seem more logical and cost effective......just my 2 pence worth!