View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2023, 22:12 (Ref:4170063)   #952
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Often, I think this syndrome of people constantly speeding up & slowing down on motorways is, in many cases, down to mobile phone usage.

I've noticed that when people are using their phones - either speaking or, unbelievably, texting - their ability to concentrate on driving goes out the window and they subconsciously slow down. Then, once they've finished their call/text, they speed up again to normal speed, only to begin the whole cycle again a few miles later when they simply can't wait to pick that phone up again!

Morons doesn't even begin to cover it...

I remember one time a few years ago on the M6 I came up behind a large van in the middle lane. It began to slow down inexplicably, and as I was towing a trailer, I couldn't legally enter the third lane to pass it. After sitting behind it for a while, by which time it was down to about 40 mph - in the middle lane of a busy M6 - I got sick of this idiot and moved left and passed on the inside. A few minutes later, same van goes speeding past at 70+. You can probably guess what happened next: yep, sure enough, a few miles further on, I catch him again, back down to about 40, but this time at least he's in the left lane. I couldn't believe what I saw next - this time, as I drew level passing him on the right as usual, I got a better look at the driver. Incredibly, this guy was steering the van with his elbows whilst he held two phones, one in each hand, presumably attempting to read and/or write text messages! Un-f***ing-believable!