View Single Post
Old 15 Dec 2013, 13:24 (Ref:3344284)   #3
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
With the new rules out for 2014 and beyond in LMP1, there seems to be perhaps a bit of an effort on the ACO's part, to open the door to privateer teams again, rather than totally relying on Audi to put on the show.

Not being so technical, I am not sure as to whether these rules will bring P1 teams out of the woodwork to compete? Does anyone who knows a bit more than me about these things, understand whether the rules would allow any privateer team to be in the same race as Audi, Toyota and Porsche, or it is always going to be the best of the rest situation?

I would assume the ACO is looking at current P2 teams to perhaps pick up the baton and try and run in the higher class? In which case, what is it going to cost a privateer team to run in the WEC series, using a normal aspirated, non hybrid set up, any ideas people?
Technically-speaking, the new rules are designed to ensure a level playing field in the LMP1 class and privateers should be able to compete with the constructors. Well, that's the theory.

We all know too well that competitiveness also depends on how much money you can invest in the development of the car. In that respect, privateers will hardly be in a position to compete with the Mighty like Toyota, Porsche and Audi.

I am looking forward to seeing what the ACO-FIA will do to help privateers in the LMP1 class. They made a promise back in June 2012 that "private teams are (to be) protected". At least, the ACO-FIA have a tool now in the rules that would allow them to specifically target and help privateers running in the LMP1-L "sub-category". Referring again to the ACO-FIA 2012 promise, a consequence of the new rules is supposed to include:
Quote:
Adjustment of the performance of the cars in the column without KERS if necessary to protect private teams which use them
In that respect, I am convinced that it is in the best interests of the privateers NOT to run with a hybrid car.