View Single Post
Old 18 Sep 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1712942)   #46
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd be happy to answer the question.

Le Mans should be taking the best teams available. Period.

There are currently two series that provide opportunities for the teams to prove their mettle. The best will surely rise to the top, and Le Mans invites will flow accordingly (or, at least, ought to). Not because of automatic entries, but because of merit.

A team that survives only on Le Mans is not going to rise to the top of the corresponding series; neither are they going to add to the quality of the field, if all others are there on merit. Therefore, those dependent on the automatic entry for survival are not the ones who will improve the Le Mans grid.

I think Brett has hit on a valid point - perhaps the real problem is the LMS and its lack of commercial viability on its own. But giving them LM entries is not the way to strengthen the series. Proper marketing of the series itself (TV, local promoters) is what is needed.

Graham, given the capricious nature of the ACO selection process, more structure is probably a good thing. It ought to be significantly weighted toward merit, but has not been. I think it's a valid issue to tackle - but I think it's independent of the issue of LMS commercial viability.

Let me just add: Eddie the Eagle was a heartwarming story at the Calgary Olympics. By Lillehammer, he could not qualify. I enjoyed the storyline but I think the Olympics are better for having their standards set.

Last edited by paul-collins; 18 Sep 2006 at 14:28.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James