View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3313124)   #3667
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
One reason for going with a spec tire is to make money. A tire manufacturer gets the sponsorship rights in return for cheaper tires.

The teams get better deals, the series gets a few extra bucks, and it is only GTD anyway. No one ever seemed to care that PC or GTD used spec tires, and the racing was not negativley affected.
Wouldn't be quite so sure of that. A couple of people in British teams I've spoken to in the past mentioned that the tyres actually cost them more, as the manufacturer has to make back their sponsorship fee and has a monopoly on the market. Think about what Dallara charge Indycar teams for their spare parts and you realise that it's just a triangle that doesn't really have a winner, apart from any publicity gained by the sponsor/constructor and the series not being so dependent on entries to cover its costs.

In a pro-am series (ie; not dependent on tv money), the Tyre co pay the series for the rights
Series no longer charges as much for entry as the tender covered costs (or no longer needs as many entrants)
Teams pay less for the championship but more for the entry

That's my perception anyway, I may well be wrong.