View Single Post
Old 26 Apr 2020, 17:15 (Ref:3972982)   #83
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Sadly, and I've said it before (though I layed off of it due to IMSA streamlining/standardizing on DPI and the ACO being slow to learn their lesson, though LMP Hypercar/LMDH hopefully promises to make more sense than 2014-20 LMP1), IMSA and the ACO should've just left the rules for 2013 alone for a few years.

The ACO wanting to reinvent the wheel and reinvent Group C got us to where we are now (along with them pandering to OEMs who may leave if the cost to play gets too much to justify). And IMSA trying to merge LMP2 with DP caused as many (or more) problems than it fixed. On the latter, they should've (IMO) just made everyone run the wide Michelin tires that became surplus after the LMP1 cars got made narrower in 2014. At least then both the DP and LMP2 teams would've been shafted the same degree with tires that didn't work well with either car, and would've required mods for the wheels and tires to even fit on the cars.

IMSA didn't cover themselves with glory in '14 for sure, but neither IMO did the ACO. The latter organization has, had and will probably always have the LM24 as their trump card. But I do think that sometimes that blinds them to the realities of sanctioning a championship. You have to remember what a Porsche Motorsports official said off the record at LM in '17. That LM is what matters, and until the ACO actually make it appealing, not a lot of teams (factory teams especially) will give a damn about a championship. Hence the ACO browbeating with giving auto-invites to LM if you're a full time WEC team and charging teams fees to op out of races aside from force majure.

Problem with all of this is that, one, we're on the outside looking in, so we automatically have a different perspective (which sadly actually makes us actually seem more level headed and intelligent than some at the ACO and IMSA at the time and maybe even now), and two, the old demon of hindsight being 20/20.