Old 29 Apr 2020, 13:28 (Ref:3973611)   #86
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Methinks "(how many 18-25-year-olds are excited by cars anymore?)" ...nobody (nearly, anyway) picks up a wrench (let alone know what to do with one in the first place)...
This notion that people became racing fans when they started driving at 18 (or whatever age it was for you at the time) or when they "picked up a wrench" has never seemed to be anything associated with reality for me.
Do you remember ever not liking racing from the time you first started seeing pictures or the occasional film or TV clips of it (again depending on the time period when you were a kid)? I certainly wasn't driving on the road or working on my own vehicle when I was five years old. Who suddenly starts watching racing at 18 or 20 when they've had no interest in it before? Aren't your interests set by that age? And why did all "car people" I knew as a kid say stuff like "isn't just standing beside the road and watching cars go past pretty much the same thing as watching racing?"
Saying "picking up a wrench" is what got someone interested in watching racing strikes me as saying working in a slaughterhouse is what got someone interested in eating steaks and hamburgers.

Last edited by HighParker; 29 Apr 2020 at 13:39.