View Single Post
Old 29 Apr 2020, 19:36 (Ref:3973681)   #88
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
You misunderstood. My pernt is that the casual fan is what you and I are talking about that is causing the change in auto racing. They are more interested in "good" (actually close) racing. They haven't a clue what makes the cars go and could care less. They just want an 'exciting" battle. My test when talking to a stranger at a race is to simply ask if they know the difference between a roll bar and an anti roll bar.

This is what the manufacturers and any sponsors want as there is more of those eyeballs who aren't interested in the tecchnology and engineering involved resulting in wonderful identical kit cars (IndyCar), spec cars (NASCAR), BoPed cars (sports car racing) and all the "must last so and so races" (cripes, even F1...) or else penalization "supposedly" to lower costs when it actually costs more to design and develop such critters.

All the above actuality makes for more racing billboards running closer together (more airtime with "good" (orchestrated by said rules) close) racing) running longer for the short attention spanned/uninitiated, fans; and for the sponsors.

I never said "picking up a wrench" got anyone interested....it's what makes a REAL auto racing fan just that. They have a clue what it's really about. Not just a scripted show.

Racing used to be a display of the best designed, engineered, built, and developed....fastest.....that teams could produce (and yes, cranked to the limit, they often broke). That is what "auto racing" is about; not just an excercise in advertising.

Are, for instance, faster dominant runners required to wear weights on their backs to "level the playing field" to put on a better "show"? (etc., etc.) No. They also aren't big banners running (or whatever) around.

I know, I'm a broken record but I'm watching "racing" go down the tubes and maybe, just maybe, some enlightenment will sink in.......
Yeah, and I've got a great bridge to sell you. Racing was ALWAYS about selling something. Either your car, your team, your build. The fact this fastest and best MYTH persists baffles me. It's never been accurate and has always been laughed at by all parties from racing.