Thread: My Tracks
View Single Post
Old 15 Dec 2002, 03:38 (Ref:450145)   #298
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, here's my new one... This is based in the Chicago suburb of McCook, to the southwest of the city, but still pretty much in the metro area. It's a full-time road course and drag strip. The site I've chosen was until recently occupied by the GM Electromotive locomotive factory. But they moved the production to Canada, and demolished the beautiful old brick factory.

The local residents across the street to the west are shielded from noise by putting the drag strip and club course over by the commercial and industrial property to the east, and also by trees. A large depression in the property will be filled with water to create an artificial lake, providing public recreation space, while the rest of the property, with it's trees and grass, will provide much-needed greenspace.

And guess what? I finally got to use one of my existing designs for something! The shape of the property and relative flatness made it perfect for this track layout. Facilities should be suitable for NHRA, ALMS, or CART.

The track runs counter-clockwise, and is almost totally flat except for the banked turn 1, which is, of course, a carbon copy of the original Peraltada in Mexico City, one of my all-time favorite corners.