View Single Post
Old 13 Jun 2023, 12:57 (Ref:4163518)   #80
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For the last few years I have gone Newhaven-Dieppe, via Yvetot, across Pont de Brotonne over the Seine, then picked up the toll road for the rest of the way. On the way back I avoid the tolls completely, also via Yvetot.

Newhaven and Dieppe are small ports and I find them much more pleasant than Dover/Calais. Obviously a shorter drive from Dieppe too. Downside is not many sailings, so don't miss your boat, and it's a 4 hour crossing. I usually get a cabin on the way back for a snooze and a private bathroom. A bit of a treat after a week of camping.

Sailing times are not ideal but other factors weigh as well (ease, cost, driving distance etc). Sail out 11am UK, arrive 4pm France. Return is 6pm France arriving 9pm UK. Not a major issue if you live in the south but I then have to get to Leeds. Took me 6 hours yesterday with all the inevitable lane closures, road closures, diversions etc. Not sure I can hack it again without an overnight stop. We'll see...
There are a couple of other sailings including one in the middle of the night.

Yvetot diversion means avoiding Rouen, going over a nice bridge, and travelling through the Parc naturel régional des Boucles de la Seine Normande (which is nice if you like trees). The Yvetot bypass also has a choice of Leclerc, Aldi and Lidl if you want to stop for shopping along the way.