View Single Post
Old 6 Apr 2020, 00:21 (Ref:3968822)   #59
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
All this could likely have a fundamental impact on many sports and similar entertainment businesses in the medium-long term (clearly impacting in the short term).

Rugby Union for example, only went professional for players in the mid 90s - 25 years ago. You could say the same for motor sport in this country although my view is that it really ramped up in the early noughties. Rugby League has seen explosions in player payments in the same period, as has AFL.

In all cases, players / team admin / mechanics either couldn't earn any part of their living from playing sport or were able to earn part of their living - compared to these days where it is a full-time role and provides their total income, more or less.

Whatever happens with COVID-19, I can't see any sport being able to pay those taking part or administering the kind of remuneration they've become used to over the last 20 or so years once sport starts being played again. Just seems too far-fetched an idea.

If we look at motorsport in Oz, I don't see this as something that is going to impact Supercars and no-one else. You'd have to look at other categories that have been running as well and whether or not their model of operation is going to be sustainable after a COVID-19 hit.

It's not necessarily all doom and gloom but I can't imagine that it'll simply be "business as usual" once racing starts again.