View Single Post
Old 21 May 2020, 12:17 (Ref:3977509)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Some people have found their interest isn't as high as it was; others have found different things to do; others still have decided the risk level is too high for them/their family.

Some however are just, as you put it, having a hissy fit at the fact we're not going straight back to where we were and that's a completely understandable reaction too TBH.

I can only speak for myself but I've definitely found myself having lowered mental capacity to deal with challenges since this all started. I've found myself having to take "time out" occasionally work-wise and difficult things of all shapes and sizes are making me much more tired than I used to be. Operating at a continual elevated stress level is known to be tiring, however high or low that stress is, and knee-jerk reactions are often a result.

I'm still very much in two minds about the whole "do I volunteer or not" issue but that's based more around the fact that there I have vulnerable family members and I don't want to affect them directly or indirectly. Yet part of me really wants to spend some time back trackside...
I'm not a marshal so am generalising somewhat here but I wonder if this is a bit like 'this is what I'd do if I won the lottery'. (Bear with me...)
We can (and probably do) all theorise about what we would do in this situation, but without actually being there, we don't know how we really would react. Maybe, until you know how the world now it when motorsport is allowed to happen again, what the new regulations & guidelines really are, and what the format of the meetings you're invited to attend you haven't enough information to actually make the decision? (I base this on the experience of my wife. My step son was born with a major heart defect and at 6 days old required major surgery to correct this. Apparently his mother remained calm throughout. As I say, I wasn't involved at the time. Whereas she's always thought that if something like that happened to her, she would just go to pieces. Oh, and as a footnote, he's now a healthy & strapping 26 year old builder, thank you NHS!)