View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1711199)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I tend to disagree - for every team that gets nine months to raise funds for a two car guaranteed entry, there are probably 5 or 6 who no longer have any desire to raise funds, since the likelihood of getting an invitation becomes infinitessimal. Which means you're going to decimate the field, ultimately, for the season, and reduce the number of teams who could reasonably be counted upon to act as reserves.

The only thing this does is try to take the decision out of the ACO's hands - which, given the past, may be a good thing . Perhaps the single Racing for Holland entry is a good example of why this would be reasonable. Or Spinnaker Clandesteam.

But if a strict regimen were followed of choosing entrants for Le Mans based purely upon merit, where would the fundraisers have difficulty?

Perhaps the evaluation of merit could be codified - but I wouldn't go as far as locking in entries 9 months in advance - and especially not as many as contemplated here.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James