View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1711753)   #14
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I agree with Hound.

The ONE thing I never understood about Le Mans its an INVITE only dance and not an open invite to qualify for the event.

Okay so that might mean teams like WR don't get in, but would that really hurt the quality of Le Mans? Such storylines make great tv I guess, but below the surface, its just another struggling team with no money and no real chance to win.

The Indy 500 isn't INVITE only, its anybody who has a car and a driver trying to get into the show. The winner usually comes from the first 5-10 rows and not any further back. Those that got in on the last day of qualifying really don't stand a chance to win, but since finishing LAST pays so well, why not take a crack at it?

The Daytona 500 has as many as 50-60 cars qualify for 2 guaranteed spots. Only the front row is locked in, the rest have to "race" their way in, with the 2 qualifying races on the Thur before the race.

Why not make teams EARN the right to be at Le Mans? That's the level of professionalizm that is missing.

Sportcar Racing has largely been amaturish throughout the years. Its only when the factories have made it their personal battle field that its even been interesting to anybody outside of France and the UK.

That culture has to change sometime...

Desolve Grand Am and you would have solved your entry/field problems with the ALMS.

Desolve IRL and Im sure you would see a few teams come over to the ALMS.

As in the Matrix, the problem is choice... For the common good of the sport there shouldn't be so much choice.

I'd say having 2 series in a area dominated by road racing prolly isn't a good idea either.

There's a way to do this, no other race can give you WORLD exposure the way Le Mans can.

The answer lies somewhere between these post...