View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1711846)   #16
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm still pondering the implications of the proposals in Malcolm's article, but in the meantime I thought I'd give you my 2p on the subject:

The problem (if that's the right word) with Le Mans is it's timing. It just doesn't fit in with the motor racing calendar. It's a stand alone event and yet it's bigger in almost every sense of the word than the various series (ALMS/LMS/JLMC) it has spawned. In almost any other sport you might care to mention the 'Big One' is the season finale. In 'our' sport this is not the case.

So, we have a situation whereby the 'Season Finale/Big One/Cup Final/call it what you will' in ACO rules four class sportscar racing actually takes place mid-season. It is an absurd peculiarity which poses problems for potential participants and sponsors which are unprecedented in other sports.

My solution would be to simply adjust the ACO racing calendar to run from July to June. The LMS/ALMS/JLMC would obviously need to take a winter break, but I see no reason why this couldn't work.

Having adjusted the calendar to run from July to June, we now have a situation whereby Le Mans becomes the 'Season Finale'. The ACO could then adopt results based entry criteria for Le Mans and in doing so give the ALMS/LMS/JLMC an enormous boost.

The number of places to be awarded to each class from each series (based probably on car counts in each class in each series) are announced at Le Mans prior to the opening round of the (new) season, reserves would be called up on the basis of 'next best place in that class in that series' and amazingly everyone knows exactly where they stand and what needs to be done in order to go to the party.

Le Mans maintains it's place at the pinnacle of Sportscar and GT Racing, the associated series become stronger, more significant, more competitive, better funded, more exciting and better supported, and the ACO can sleep sound in their beds at night....................

Last edited by Bentley03; 16 Sep 2006 at 13:58.