View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4067076)   #34
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Thanks! There were 3 practice sessions on Sat at Prescott in July so I assumed the same here. I must confess I think a bit more could be done to communicate things like that. The commentators do a great job at describing the cars and drivers but didn’t seem to know more than anyone else about what competitions were happening or what the plan for the day was. And none of that is online.

I fully appreciate that I am being grumpy about a club event run by volunteers which provides wonderful entertainment and has come through difficult times. I have now learned my lesson: go on Sundays
Saturdays are a bit odd when you get a mix of events. The programme sort of explains it. The general format - at least around the Midlands is:

Sat everyone practices once. One day people take 2nd practice before lunch. After lunch everyone runs again, for the one dayers that's their first timed run. When everyone's had another go, the one day has it's 2nd timed run.

Sun. If there is a one day meeting as well works similarly. One day practice, everyone else's 1st timed, One day 2nd practice, top 12 run off. One day 1st timed, everyone else's 2nd timed, one day 2nd timed, top 12 run off.

There may be local variations, but that's the common system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
It's off-topic but on the subject of circuit commentators I do smile at the dligence with which they read out entry changes and grid starting order "so that you can make a note in your programme". The brilliant thing is that they continued to do it earlier this summer when only digital programmes were available. It's adorable .
And as a marshal - especially when flagging at circuits - it drives me nuts that they give out that information along with the starting grid during the green flag lap when I'm busy doing something else and can't make notes. Then they refer to the drivers by name throughout so following the order when I'm using numbers is very difficult, especially during events where the drivers change. Trying to pick out the leader after pitstops when you don't know who's got into which car and the programme doesn't match and you're not sure if someone lost a lap during the stop... If they could just say #10 driven by xxx from yyy in #3, #5 is now a lap down it would help enormously.

Last edited by Woolley; 16 Aug 2021 at 18:57.