View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2008, 05:00 (Ref:2098379)   #33
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar

The 500 is no longer the money earner it was.
Why do you say the I500 isn't the money earner it once was?

- is attendance down on race day?
- are the seats that much cheaper?
- What is the real revenue for the month of May to IMS?

Quote:
As far as we can tell the irl has never turned a profit. That money gets sucked up from somewhere. The fact that the league still couldn't pull it off after toyota, honda and chevy dumped hundreds of millions in and still the series is barely here. Time to give it up. Recall what the irl was started for and what the end result is and I don't think any rational person can justify what has happened over the past 15 years.
Who is the we, who can't tell if the IRL turned a profit, or a loss? Is there evidence either way, in the public domain?

Quote:
That the amigos are continually villified for trying to keep the original series alive is absurd. Who started this thing? Jeezz.
I'm sorry, I see this post as an attempt to derail the thread, to have what is a painful discussion closed, by starting an argument.

In my opinion, the IRL is nearly a break even proposition, maybe a small loss, maybe a small profit. That isn't the topic here though.

We know CART (MPH) was a massive money loser. We assume that revenues have not increased since it became CCWS. We assume that there are basic costs that cannot go away, and that CCWS is nowhere near a break even proposition. There is no real business case for CCWS.

However, there is also no hard evidence that CCWS will close down anytime soon either, as it will exist as long as the existing, or future owners wish to spend whatever money is necessary to keep it going. It has become a vanity project/hobby pastime at this point. It will last as long as there is sufficient funding/will to keep it so, but it is past the point of ever being a "business".

The IRL folks are all praying for CCWS to cease to exist, or waive the merge white flag, so that their weak side will have some hope for growth.

Fans of the Open Wheel we knew in the 80's and 90's want one series, hoping that we can get back a relevant series of some kind.

Hardline forum posters on both sides spew rhetoric and hate that devalues their thoughts. This is crazy talk, the my series sucks just slightly less than yours does.