Thread: WEC 2016 WEC Discussion
View Single Post
Old 19 Aug 2015, 11:20 (Ref:3566917)   #30
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
True, it was better when it was in August, but that was on the previous iteration of the circuit so I'm biased.

To me it's not the right venue because it looks ridiculous both on TV and in person when there are so many tens of thousands of empty seats. It's also an unnecessarily huge venue for 30 cars. Same problem as COTA and Shanghai.

On a personal level, they also destroyed the remaining credibility of the circuit for me when they removed the Abbey/Bridge sequence, which was by far my favourite part of the track. Even when they put the chicane at Abbey it was fine, because when you stood trackside between the two corners they were exiting the chicane and pushing towards the wall where you were stood.

In addition to the extra carpark-runoffs that they've added all around the circuit, there's almost nowhere on the track I want to stand.

Finally, the venue is just not friendly to spectators at all. The old pits used to have plenty of atmosphere but the new complex is miles away, there are twice as many buses for VIPs and photographers than for the great unwashed and the whole place is bereft of atmosphere and scenery, like a video game model that they haven't finished yet.

Chiana has a dislike of Spa, but when you're at Spa there are loads of great, unspoiled sections of the track. At Silverstone, there is not really anywhere that I can stand still for an hour an enjoy it. Maybe the fence at the entry to Vale, maybe the inside at the entrance to Beckett's, but not really. I used to spend hours there, on the outside of Bridge and on the exit of Club (when you could see from Stowe to Abbey), but no longer.

So personally, that's why I'd rather go to Spa, Monza or the Nurburgring (although I detest the new start sequence) once every two years than Silverstone each year.

Does it have a large percentage of the WEC's followers? Sportscar racing in general seems to really struggle here compared to Belgium, France and Germany, as far as I can tell; the only sportscar event that attracts over 50,000 Brits each year isn't even held in the country!

Judging by the number of posters on here from Yorkshire though, we should hold an endurance race on the streets of Leeds if we want to change that...

Last edited by Rodger Davies; 19 Aug 2015 at 11:29.