View Single Post
Old 18 Dec 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2357871)   #48
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I cannot see any reason that Audi would join the IRL (certainly not given the current situation: both of the series' state of being, but also the overall global situation). What would they gain from it?

The IRL gets better ratings than the ALMS I guess, but the ALMS has much greater value brand image wise. Given they have pulled the plug on the LMS and ALMS, well, I just don't see why they'd ever want to go and get involved with an AOWS in a bad state during a global mince-fest.

It just doesn't make sense.
Dutton, I agree with you 100%. Indycar gains more from Audi than Audi gains from the IRL. ALMS is the best place in North America for a premium brand. I do not want Audi to go to the IRL but I thought it was a done deal based on press reports. Maybe if they were allowed to build their own chassis it would be a good idea, but not a the expense of a sportscar program.