View Single Post
Old 18 Dec 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2357906)   #49
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan
I'm pretty sure Honda makes a profit from the IRL? Audi could come over to the IRL and sponsor the series the way they did the ALMS for not a lot of $$. If Porsche said no to IRL, and Audi said no, where are these new 4 manufacturers being talked about?
There are no four other manufacturers. Who told you that?

The irl invited manufacturers at their cost to a meeting this summer of which most declined and others sent low level people to see what was up. It's in the irl's interest to make people believe manufacturers are gagging to get involved but they are not.

You have to keep in mind, Indycar as a brand name means little compared to 15 years ago. Next year many races are on a minor cable network and tv ratings are poor compared to what is being asked for sponsorship. Attendances are inflated with free tickets from Marlboro, season ticket holders at Nascar tracks and other fluff which is going to vanish like a fart in the wind in this economy. The series has little recognition in the national media.

I can tell you from what I know Honda does not make a profit off it's engines. Anyone that tells you Honda banks big bucks off it's engine program, has no idea what the hell they are talking about. In addition Honda has significant expenditures from tv air time costs, advertising, marketing and funding races like Motegi, St. Pete and Mid Ohio. At Mid Ohio alone they spent millions on tickets for employees from it's local factory and other promotions.

These days with factories being idled and sales way down every manufacturer is reigning in costs quickly. In the good years when profits are in the billions, sure you can go out and blow millions on motorsport, but when people are losing jobs or soon to do so, it's hard to justify spending all that.

If the irl lands Audi then good for them, but already they have gone to Germany to try to inflate the balloon and I don't think Audi is buying, especially with the increasing influence of Porsche who has already said NO.