View Single Post
Old 4 May 2013, 10:12 (Ref:3242545)   #90
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Picking up from the off topic discussion in the Spa thread

Quote:
Let me guess: every sport that doesn't fall under "motorsport/sportscars" category is only popular because of huge marketing around it?

If sportscars were so obviously the pinnacle of motorsport, this topic wouldn't pop up in every other thread and especially not in an otherwise completely unrelated race thread. The F1 bashing and glorification of everyone's favourite category here is some sort of virtual group masturbation.

I'll challenge you to find a better attended regular WEC race than the average of the 10 worst attended F1 races.
You are right of course - but it doesn't help that WEC have turned away from 2 of the best attended sportscar races - Sebring and PLM

Back in the sixties sportscar racing was pretty much as popular as F1 so what is the main cause of the change- A big part of it is the clever marketing the Bernie and his team brought to F1 that really did elevate it from a niche sport to the one of the biggest global sports. I think it is F1 that has shifted its position upwards rather than sportscars experiencing a decline.