View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2003, 15:27 (Ref:675394)   #11
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clive - it will not come as any great surprise to you that this topic has been debated extensively in the past on these pages! Indeed one of our number ran a very helpful survey as to what marshals really want. The recurrent theme was respect from those in 'authority', to be valued, to have reasonable breaks during the day, to have a safe and dry place to leave equipment etc. No surprises there then! And equally nothing that a reasonable 'employer' wouldn't provide.

All that said and despite everything others and I have been involved in during the last year or so, nothing has substantially changed. The question of marshals and marshalling has been debated ad nauseam at the ABRMC (Association of British Motor Racing Clubs - a committee of the MSA). Result? Nothing...

Am I becoming disillusioned? In a word (and this is after a couple of decades of marshalling) - Yes.

What have I done about it? Well, as said above I have put my head above the parapet and tried to influence the debate at a reasonably high level (without tangible success). As a volunteer I am frankly beholden to no-one in motor sport and so I now choose very carefully the meetings at which I wish to marshal - and enjoy them hugely.

Finally, less you feel I am being negative, let me once again heap praise on those clubs and individuals that do actively value us - the VSCC springs readily to mind – as does Norbert Haug and Mercedes (who generously entertained the marshals at Donington last weekend. – many of whom will no doubt be proudly sporting their Mercedes jackets for some time to come).