View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2023, 13:53 (Ref:4143271)   #55
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
The buzz of racing for me is in pushing the envelope, finding the limit - which you can only find by occasionally exceeding it - and knowing that, if I beat the next guy, I did it despite his best efforts at achieving the same thing.
So you're saying you can't drive at the limit and not go off track? Sounds like you're driving "over" rather than "at". What if the "limit" is the car next to you? Or a wall? You drive accordingly and don't hit them. Why shouldn't the "limit" be the grass and you drive accordingly and not go on it?

I'm certainly not good enough to drive without making mistakes, and am grateful for the grass and/or tarmac run offs - but should I get away with going too fast? Surely there needs to be an incentive not to exceed the limit and a penalty for doing so? There's also a safety element: "I just dropped a wheel off the edge and spun back across the track into oncoming traffic", or "dangerous re-joining of the track" after going wide on the run-off.

It's remarkable how many people complain about the BTCC abusing track limits but "it's different for us."

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.