Thread: WEC Race 6 Hours of Spa
View Single Post
Old 2 May 2023, 03:07 (Ref:4154104)   #252
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr View Post
I'm a bit of a boring pragmatist, i actually agreed with Ferrari's call to start on wets with the notion they're not going to learn much for LM if they're in a wall somewhere at Spa. I'm definitely enjoying all the other teams learning and gaining on Toyota, i recall when i first started going to LM in 98 the mantra always seemed to be, year one make your mistakes, year two begin to challenge, year three aim for the win...a la Bentley in 2001/2002/2003...now we seem to expect new teams to be challenging in race three, not year three. As for Eurosport, i too wondered what was going on, that piece with the weather man was surely an item for race build up, its almost like someone up high can't believe people are interested in watching a race for six hours, i really enjoyed that one, roll on LM.
Agreed. Which makes Ferrari's effort even more impressive (and almost to the same degree - so do Porsche's and Cadillac's).

Splitting their strategy could have gained them more, both in terms of result and data. The choice for the hard compound slick is the one that baffles me - why not put the softs on for the start and see how you cope? The hards made it extra challenging and basically robbed them of any chance to vie for the win.

The Spa weather should not be a surprise to anyone - especially not AF Corse who have extended experience of racing in the Ardennes. And didn't they test @ Spa recently under changing conditions? (together with Porsche)