Thread: optic sensors
View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 2001, 16:27 (Ref:82743)   #2
F1Rumors
Rookie

F1Rumors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hornytoad
although it's justifiable and understandable for the teams to 'work' the rules, f1 is steering towards remote-controlled (i.e., driverless) cars in the not-so-near future
Addition of an optical sensor to detect and react to the start lights is not really in the same class. In theory, it is certainly already possible to have a driverless car -- the PC game GP3 is a good example of a sophisticated computer model which could do just that, and it's not even had the resources that Ferrari or McLaren could put into it.

However, getting these things to detect and react to problems - debris on track, other competitors and so on - is where the drivers' skills still beat a machine. But for qualifying, a computer would be better:

One lap of the track at the hands of a driver, at any speed, just picking out the optimum line, and there would not even be a requirement for an on board map of the track: the next lap, and every one after it, the computer would be able to drive the car at optimum speed for that line -- no question.

The good news for F1 fans, however, is that the FIA's move to ban power steering and braking prevents computers being involved in these actions. Optimum acceleration is already available from traction control, so the limits of gain are already defined. Credit to any team who make a launch control work properly, if you ask me, as they are clearly reacting within the limit of the rules...

Just my tuppence worth.