Old 25 Apr 2001, 00:03 (Ref:84600)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
...and even though I posted on another thread with a view that deeply contradicts yours, Sparks, I CAN see you point. It's difficult. There HAS to be a compramise somewhere.
My sentimenst also. At first, I was all for electronic aids - that would be the pinnacle of motor racing development. Then somone pointed out that these aids would detract from the driver's skills, and that got me thinking. Where is all this going?
So what I would like to think of F1 is the development of the F1 cars within certain parameters that would still enable the more skillful drivers to triumph over the lessor skilled.
Engines could still have very high revs without computers, since the development of pneumatic valves. Cars will have direct fuel injection, no worries - computers are not needed for this. So I see the best development from a mechanical and aerodynamic aspect for the F1 car. Even automatic gears can be designed without the use of computers.
Why ban computers? TRACS is only allowed now because such a system cannot be stopped or even checked by the FIA - no other reason. Once computers were permitted, their use was easily diverted to provide TRACS. I would like the driver to have to decide when to change gears, how much throttle to use going through a corner, how hard to brake to slow the car in corners most effectively. I certainly don't want to see drivers flatten the throttle going through a corner knowing that the computer will sort out how much power the rear wheels need, and not even have to decide when to change gears. I would like the more gifted drivers in wet conditions to drive rings around those with little wet weather skills.
Basically, I would like to see the best drivers in the world compete against each other with the best driver coming out ahead.
Now what I really want is someone to tell me why computers are necesary in an F1 car.
BUT, having said all this, I fully agree with Sparky that all my aspirations expressed in this post are totally unrealistic - it will never happen. I am just having my two bob's worth, that's all.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 25 Apr 2001 at 00:08.