View Single Post
Old 4 Apr 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1570682)   #17
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=scorch]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
I think your missing the point, and that is that you should NEVER have to cross a live track.QUOTE]

Nope the point I was making was that you can and sometimes it is necessary to cross a live race circuit. BUT it has to be last resort AND awareness of what is going on is the key.

If i was talking to a trainee I would say never cross a live race circuit but for an experenced marshall who can see far enough up the circuit to allow sufficient time to cross, and there is a need to cross ie fire, unconsious driver then I see no problem with it. From the TV pictures I though both marshalls showed both these qulaities.
I agree with Wooley here, the guy's actions would have been the subject of debate no matter what he did, but unless a drivers life was in danger no one should have to cross a live track. It was definately live too, it was a bit before the start finish line which means the course car coming out of pit exit would have been nowhere near closing the track at that point. It would only have taken a trip to have made that in to headline news for all the wrong reasons....

Button was out of the car and well away from it, frankly i'd have let it burn until someone could get there safely from the pit side or the last car had passed (which it hadn't). Yeah, they did seem very careful about it, but all the same i wouldn't have bothered.