View Single Post
Old 4 Apr 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1570975)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hear, hear. Who amongst us has never made a mistake? And we don't expect to be crucified on here when we do. According to PVDA, the marshal may have chatted to the officials, and we're always learning. The source of the problem appears to be that the marshals who would have attended were prevented from doing so by officialdom, leaving others to try to sort out the resulting problems on the hoof.

It's very easy to make the right decision from 10,000 miles away, no pressure and no idea of the problems faced. I just congratulate the guy on taking the utmost care in trying to do the right thing, even if he was ultimately unsuccessful in that attempt. I too have seen the Tom Pryce incident, and the circumstances here were totally different. I personally would not have crossed the track because it has been drummed into me not to, but I also remember the Caterham shunt at Brands when the guys had to cross 2/3rds of the track to get there and did a superb job. Nobody leapt on them and said it was wrong.

Of course, it's this kind of thing that adds to the reasons I won't do a GP. Bernie's circus is wonderful at making very good marshals look like idiots. How often do your hear the marshals criticized over blue flags? And who's responsibility os that? Not the marshals.