View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2400265)   #85
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezwalk43
Great idea to start a register for these cars but there must be little hope of following full ownership trail through as there were hundreds of them! - I used to follow Anglia history and owned a number of well known cars in the 1970's when they were worthless. Still have all my scrap books, photos and programmes form '65 onwards and have photos of many of the cars already discussed. And to me special saloon racing started about 1964 with the first of the big engine Anglias and other hybrids. Before this most saloons even in club racing resembled Group 2 cars. Have photos I took at Mallory in '63 of a saloon handicap featuring very standard looking (possibly Superspeed) Anglias up against everything including a Gogomobile!
A new thread has started to look at the smaller capacity cars so I think these threads will focus on 1500cc and higher.

In terms of a register, the easiest thing we can do is track cars that were actually built and are therefore still recognisably distinctive, as opposed to every car that had a larger engine fitted. Tracking Anglias with twin-cams is a different order of magnitude of difficulty to tracking Skodas with DFVs. The Janglia, the Boss Capri, Baby Bertha, the DFVW - these are all trackable and stand a chance of existing today.

But as we haven't defined the task yet, nobody can say it's impossible!