View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2020, 09:44 (Ref:3993489)   #210
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, I can see one "national" feeder series for Cup replacing Trucks and xfinity. There are some drivers who come through regional/ ARCA to Trucks, then to xfinity and ultimately Cup but only some, not all.

If there was a mandated progression you might bulk the series up (i.e. no Cup ride without a year in xfinity and a minimum of X top tens for example) but I honestly can't see anything like this happening - even if NASCAR wanted to. The economic damage of the coronavirus/ lockdowns is probably going to result in a number of shuttered teams before next season gets under way.

Maybe the one series, with a lot less meets than Cup (I'm thinking Trucks here) will be more successful as budgets required are smaller. Heck, if NASCAR can drive cost reduction like the coming next gen Cup car supposedly will then that'll definitely help get drivers and rides on the grid.

Still no idea who Bob Leavine has sold to, but Gibbs has released Jones - so pretty much guarantees Christopher Bell moving to the Gibbs #20 car, and 90% in my mind confirms the buyer won't be aligned with Gibbs. So an xfinity team stepping up seems likely. Or maybe, just maybe someone like Childress adding an extra car - to my mind they are very much improved this year and Tyler Reddick looks like a Cup veteran already.