View Single Post
Old 15 Jan 2002, 06:31 (Ref:198895)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The question is can CART get over its current dramas? Forgetting the IRL, or any other series ever existed- what lays ahead for CART?

Looking at their line up for next season-
TCGR (x2)
Green (x3)
Team Rahal (x1)
Bettenhausen (x1)
Fernandex (x2) ?
Players (x2)
Mo Nunn (x2)
Newman Hass (x2)
Pacwest (x2)
Patrick (x1)
Sigma (x1) ?
Walker (x1) ?

Who has gone MIA-
Forsythe (x1)
Team Rahal (x1)
Arciero (x1)
Penske (x2)
Patrick (x1)

Are there any new cars coming along?
Apologies if i have missed anything, I've been slightly out of the loop of late.

By any account- he net loss of competing teams can't be a healthy thing.

CART has lost their traditionally number one feeder class.

They have had an awful lot of mismanagement.

A very big one- they have a tragic TV deal in their biggest audience. How on earth can they expect the class to grow if nobody has the opportunity to watch it?

High sanctioning fees amoungst other things which has resulted in them losing some of their traditional strongholds.

An awful lot of uncertainty about their future.

Please don't think I'm anti-CART, I love the series, and I hope like hell they can get over this rut. The problem is that there are very few things going in their favour, whether it is their fault or not. I have always been adament that a series has never folded whilst they have strong competitor numbers- if people have cars and want to race them, then a series will prevail. But if CART keeps losing teams at its current rate, there'll be nobody left to race. Another thing that is forboding for the future is the fact that several of the teams already have cars, parts and infrastructure in place that would allow them to run in the IRL.

Can Pook fix it? I hope so, and by the looks of things, most people here do too... but as every day passes, it is becoming a more and more difficult job.