View Single Post
Old 6 Jan 2020, 20:19 (Ref:3950086)   #104
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I used to enjoy those, especially turning up in my Viva & wearing a Vauxhall rally jacket!

In the 70s I ran a petrol station in Catford for Ultramar, nice modern self service site but plagued by 'bilkers' and the large accessory shop was always a favourite with shoplifters. I got a call from the police in the middle of the night, they'd found a queue for petrol stretching down the road at 2am - the night cashier had tried getting the previous shift's takings out of the floor safe by filling it with water so the little canisters the cash was in would float back up the tube. When this failed because the canisters had holes in he just walked out leaving the whole place open. By the time I got there the shop had pretty much been stripped, including 100 bright blue & yellow Ultramar rally jackets which became a fashion feature locally for some time after! Some of them reappeared on regular customers who came in to fill up quite unabashed