View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2022, 13:28 (Ref:4134608)   #577
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
No I didn't say your argument was simplistic, I was saying that dismissing the made argument for leaving room and how to so as simplistic, in itself is simplistic when looking at all the discussion we've already had in this thread. There is a difference of opinion however on how much control a driver has over racing situations in order to leave racing room ( or navigate the track). So to boil it down to one side's view as simplistic and the other side is not, is not really fair in my view. More on that below.
Who’s taking sides? I’m not taking sides! That is a simplistic view of a discussion

Quote:
What it comes down to I think, is that we disagree here on the amount of control a driver has over his car and the situation and perhaps what was has been the cause of a collisions or leave not enough space in the past.

My opinion is that a drivers competitive nature is often much less flexible than the cars handling or the options that he has at his disposal. A driver also needs to be in control of his car when there is a wall on the outside and a competitors move requires him to take action to not run into the wall. Same applies if a driver goes to hot into a corner you can't exit it like you have done before. You will have to be less aggressive on the throttle to reduce your racing line radius on exit to compensate for the hot entry. Similarly, if you are on a trajectory that is not going to leave your competitor enough room you have to be less aggressive on your exit in order to leave room. In my opinion it is the competitive nature of the driver rather than limited options of the momentum and handling of his car, that often prevents a driver from doing so. If you like multiple corner battles rather than one corner affairs then more strict rules are needed to emphasize leaving room to compensate for this competitive nature.

I would even argue that your point actually enforces the leaving more racing room argument. If a driver has so little options to control his car in dynamic situations as you say, one could argue that it would be smart to make the rules such that sufficient margin is left on the table. This margin could be provided by stating rules that put more emphasis on leaving racing room rather than rules that reinforce and actually putt in writing the claiming the corner practise which as said encourages rushing to the apex, crashes and discourages leaving room.

If you don't, then the claimed limited driver control in combination with the claim the corner practise would be a recipe for continuos crashes.
It is a dynamic environment. These drivers are on the limit. The options of what you can do to the steering, brakes and throttle (etc.) is limited. That does not mean they are out of control! If this was on the road I would agree, but it is in the race track.

If someone puts their car in a place it isn’t always possible to leave room.

I do think that the art of racing isn’t just about how to overtake, but also how to be overtaken. And more racing room can be given.

But there are many many situations where this is not possible. They race on the limit.

And all I said was just being alongside is not a good indicator of anything. You can easily get alongside.