View Single Post
Old 22 Oct 2000, 00:17 (Ref:43963)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thought I'd resurrect the theme of naming and shaming idiot drivers on the road. Nominations gratefully received at this thread.

Because yesterday I witnessed a cracker.

The A41 Watford by-pass is the proud possessor of a drive-thru restaurant. Parked up, I watched the following piece of creative driving.

The parking bays for restaurant users are divided from the drive-thru lane by a little harbour wall of bricks, two bricks in depth, about 50cm wide. It channels the passing traffic into the drive-thru route.

Fellow in the red Ford Mondeo had finished his meal, and starts up his car, parked in one of the bays. With a flourish, he spins the wheels to get himself lined up for the exit. Unfortunately, he fails to spot the little row of bricks, and rams them with his right front wheel, which rides up and over, and brings the underpan of the car slamming down on the partition with a metallic crunch.

He barely stops to think, before gunning the engine, and carrying on in a forward motion. The metallic graunching of the floorpan and sill can be heard across the car park, punctuated by the hollow crunches as first his exhaust silencer, then his rear axle smite the bricks. Finally, the rear wheel lurches over the obstruction, and Mondeo man is free from his tormentor. He dabs the brakes, and then blasts off into the streams of Saturday morning traffic.

He leaves a little trail of fluid on the exit ramp. Brake fluid? Transmission fluid? Sump oil? Coolant? Who knows? I was mighty glad my journey took me in the opposite direction.

Anyone else got any driving geniuses they want to report this week?