View Single Post
Old 4 May 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3974408)   #260
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I struggle to think of any volume selling cars in the Australian market that could form the basis for any series that would have a large following. The days of the large family sedan are truly dead & buried and I think it has been proven that smaller capacity cars don't work here on a large scale. Maybe go back to the true sports sedan with loose rules as we had in the past. True innovation was then possible and they were awesome cars and great racing.
How about removing the sport from any considerations of what is currently on the road (it's all SUVs anyway) and from what manufacturers want to sell (they won't do it through racing anyway) and turn the series into a sport like football or rugby, i.e. one that exists without a real-world counterpart in the non-sporting-world, but only as entertainment. Let the fans have a vote on which era of body-styles they want to see again (e.g. BFs vs VEs) and build cars that look and sound just like that. (Maybe have another vote every 5 years to keep things reasonably fresh.)

It might sound crazy at first glance, but it actually has happened before in Argentina with their Turismo Carretera series, which is essentially stuck in a weird 1970s time-warp, but still manages to be the most popular form of racing in the country. That way, one could also preserve the tribalism of red-vs-blue even with Holden and Ford no longer involved in the series.