View Single Post
Old 1 May 2003, 06:55 (Ref:585915)   #7
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gav, not sure the procedure for Brands but let me tell you what happens at the Canadian CART races.

Your credentials will give you access to the media centre. There will be a photographers meeting every morning. It is important to attend as they will give you the do's and don'ts. Also they will tell you where the holes in the fence are for photographers. If you have any questions you can ask them then. You should also get the "track locks" at the first meeting.. These (usually colored plastic and are attached to your media pass) indentify you as a person who has access track side.

There will be the usual gang of CART regulars (photographers) in attendence. Most of them are pretty friendly and you should be able to ask them for advice if you need to. If you follow them around you should find some good spots to shoot from. You will also hear them complaining about the lack of spots to shot from.

CART has tabards that allow you to shot on pitlane (over the wall) during practise and qualifing. CART only gives out a handful of these. If you don't get one you can still shoot behind the wall. Most teams will let you in but some don't like anyone in the the way. They will ask you to leave. Go in until some says no. I can't think of any team that has a problem with this except for Team Ganassi and they are no longer in CART.

On race day they will issue different colored track lock that will give you access to the hot pits during the race. If you get this you can get some great pit stop shots.

On race day most of the best spots to shoot the start fill up fast. I have camped out at turn one (at Vancouver) for a couple of hours prior to the race. Keep your ears open where these spots may be.

The only other advice would be to keep your eyes open all the time because things happen fast. If you are shooting film make sure you have a fresh roll in before the race starts. Also wear a good pair of shoes, you may be doing a lot of walking.

Good luck.

Rob