Thread: Monaco 1996
View Single Post
Old 14 Apr 2020, 14:13 (Ref:3970767)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
How gutted did Damon look. Much as I supported him, wasn't it great to see a small team that qualified so far back win a race.

My thoughts exactly. Whilst it was a shame Damon was robbed of winning a GP his father made his own, it did mean Panis got his one and only win

There was a recent article on Autosport on how it’s forgotten how unlucky Jean Alesi was. He ran second to Damon pretty much all race till Hill went out, then after taking the lead and making a second pit stop for fuel, he then had to come in again after suspension damage, before retiring for good. He would have deserved that win

I still remember watching that race as a kid. The best Monaco GP in living memory for me. It was such a crazy race, including the reasons above. Schumacher going out on the first lap. Only three running at the end. Four others classified, one in the pits, the other three in a nose to tail pile up. Coulthard with Schumi’s helmet