View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2016, 22:29 (Ref:3602368)   #21
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
Donington is the best one!! Pushing cars whilst being overflown by large passenger jets at full throttle taking off!!

N.
I understand the frustration but,

A jet takes off or lands at EMA and is noisy for about 40-45 seconds, there are then long periods of quiet before the next aircraft

The runway at EMA is used at just 19% capacity, so there are actually some very long periods of quiet between movements

EMA provides approx 6000 jobs!

Perceptions of noise irritation are affected by the frequency and duration of the noise, thus as Grant says, some small prop planes are actually more irritating than the 737s

In contrast, at a race meeting or track day there are long periods of lower dB noise level but irritating (to the non petrol head) engine noise, these periods can be up to an hour or so long without a break at some meetings.

The race circuit only used to be used probably 3 days a week (before track days) but is now a 7 day a week operation, inc some evenings.

A race circuit does not provide many jobs!

The sad fact is that we racers are in a minority interest sport and an easy target for the environmentalists. We break the rules at our peril. The noise meters at Donington are connected to the local Council offices so breaches of planning regulations are easy to prove. I have also seen local residents at the race meetings with their own noise meters, and I doubt they were race fans!

I don't know what the answer is, but we have to find a way to comply, or We won't have anywhere to play. Pushing a car to scrutineering is a pain, literally, but when I have had to do it in my own, invariably someone offers to help.