Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinspace75
Just got back today.

A couple of things I'm interested to see whether anyone else noticed:

Firstly, anyone else notice the plumes of smoke billowing from the #1 (winning) Audi in the last hour or so? It looked pretty serious!! we were at Arnage during the last period of the race and it was quite noticable. It started doing it during the last safety car period (which is another interesting disussion to be had at some point) but neither Audi nor RLM picked up on it. I'm pretty sure that if Audi had known it was doing it, they'd have pitted. Clearly nothing showed up on their telemetry..... but for a while it looked like it might peter out on the last lap! I think Peugeot may have come alot closer to winning than is realised.

Secondly, anyone else notice just how much quieter the cars are? (new noise limits imposed)... last year you couldn't hear yourself think with the din. This year you could have quite a normal conversation with the person standing next to you!... its a bit of a shame I think. I loved the massive noise they used to make. I think its partly because the Porsche 997 is ALOT quieter than the old 996 (which was fantastically loud) and of course having more diesels doesn't help either.
Yes - a lot quieter apart from on start straight where there was echo - and no i don't like it.
Audi smoked quite a bit in front of us at Ford Chicane. It was suggested that it might have been the cold rain water evaporating off the turbo? -but i'm not so sure - after the safety car went off (or if the Audi "booted it" behind it) a cloud of diesel appeared to come out too - but i don;t think these two were related.
RLM did mention briefly I think.

I was surprised at how "vunerable" the R10's felt this year.